NCDOT to resurface 21.8 miles of roads in Watauga, Avery
A $3.3 million contract has been awarded to Maymead Inc. of Mountain City, Tenn., by the N.C. Department of Transportation to resurface 21.8 miles of primary and secondary roads in Avery and Watauga counties.
Work can begin as early as Aug. 26 and be completed by June 27, 2014.
The resurfacing project is an important investment in the long-term viability of the state’s transportation network and will help improve the overall health of the local infrastructure, according to NCDOT officials.
Avery County will see seven sections of primary and secondary roads totaling 9.3 miles resurfaced, including:
· 2.3 miles of N.C. 194 between Elk Park and Heaton from U.S. 19 East to Curtis Creek Road;
· 2.3 miles of West Brewer Road in Newland from N.C. 181 to Sugar Mountain No. 1 Road;
· 2.1 miles of N.C. 194 in Newland from N.C. 181 to Turbyfill Road;
· 1.4 miles of Richard Childress Road between Montezuma and Pineola from Goose Hollow Road to Old N.C. 181; and
· 1.2 miles of Richard Childress Road between Montezuma and Pineola from Pineola Road to Goose Hollow Road.
Watauga County will see eight sections of primary and secondary roads totaling 12.5 miles resurfaced, including:
· 4.3 miles of N.C. 194 in Boone from U.S. 221 to Meat Camp Road;
· 2.7 miles of Locust Gap Road northeast of Bethel from Bethel Road to Beaver Dam Road;
· 1.8 miles of Poplar Grove Road northeast of Shulls Mill from Pine Hill Road to Shulls Mill Road;
· 1.5 miles of U.S. 221/421 in Boone from Old West King Street to the beginning of the divided highway;
· 1 mile of Clarks Creek Road in Foscoe from N.C. 105 to George Eggers Road;
· 0.7 miles of Seven Devils Road in Seven Devils from the southern city limits to the Avery County line; and
· 0.5 miles of Hardin Road west of Deep Gap from Old U.S. 421 to U.S. 221.
This is one of 11 contracts totaling $51.5 million awarded by NCDOT in July for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina.