Construction begins on ASU broadcasting complex
Appalachian State University has started the initial phase of construction on the George G. Beasley Broadcasting Complex.
Located at the corner of Depot and Rivers streets in Boone, the 18,000 square-foot, LEED-designed building will house broadcast studios, classrooms and labs for students and offices for faculty members in the College of Fine and Applied Arts' Department of Communication.
The building site is the location of the former Boone bus depot, built in 1945. The university's original plans included leaving the old depot's stone facade walls intact and in place as much as possible. Those plans changed when state regulations required any new construction to be elevated because the site is in a floodplain.
As part of the site preparation, the university moved the stones from the building's walls to a remote site where they are being cleaned carefully and stored. The stones will be reused in the walls of a courtyard area that will front Depot and Rivers streets.
The Beasley Broadcasting Complex will be a three-story structure, with the bottom level providing a screened parking area. The total project cost will be approximately $4.5 million. Appalachian is using a combination of private donations and state funds to construct the building.
The building will begin to take shape later this summer. The university anticipates completing and opening the building in late spring 2012. Appalachian purchased the property in 2001 from Alliance Bible Fellowship.
"The George G. Beasley Broadcasting Complex will be an attractive addition to the Appalachian campus and downtown Boone," said Greg Lovins, interim vice chancellor for business affairs. "At 18,000 square feet, the broadcasting complex will be proportional to other downtown buildings.
"The courtyard area will greatly enhance the corner of Depot and Rivers streets. By saving and reusing stones from the old depot, the university is maintaining its emphasis on sustainability while remembering an important building from the past."
The building is being named for George G. Beasley of Naples, Fla. Beasley, who earned bachelor of science and master of arts degrees in business education from Appalachian in 1958 and 1959. He is the founder, chairman and chief executive officer of Beasley Broadcast Group Inc. Beasley started the company in Benson, N.C., in 1961, and has owned numerous radio stations in multiple markets across the United States. A generous gift from Beasley to the Appalachian State University Foundation is making the project possible. Beasley has served on Appalachian's Foundation Board of Directors and the university's board of trustees.
James R. Vannoy & Sons Construction Co. of Jefferson is the primary contractor on the project. WNH Architects of Charlotte designed the building.