Article Published: Aug. 30, 2012 | Modified: Aug. 30, 2012
It’s that time of the season.
Area Chamber of Commerce is seeking its 2012 Business of the Year, and organizers are seeking the
Chamber president Dan Meyer described the criteria, which must
demonstrate the nominee’s performance in as many of the following areas as
• Staying power – a substantiated history as an established
• Growth and number of employees – a benchmark to judge economic impact
on the area job market;
• Increase in sales and/or unit volume – an indication of
• Innovativeness of products or service offered –
illustrations of the creativity and imagination of the originator or subsequent manager of the
• Response to adversity – example of problems faced by the business and
the solutions taken in resolving them;
• Evidence of contributions to
community-oriented projects through the use of employee time or their resources;
• Use of local resources – utilizes educational institutions, natural
resources, goods, services, etc.
Nominations, which are being sought from both
chamber and community members, must be submitted by Friday, Oct. 5. Forms are available by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or calling (828) 264-2225.
Winners will be announced
at the October Business After Hours, to be held Thursday, Oct. 25, at Bare Essentials Natural
Market, which was the award recipient in 2000.
Other winners include Peddler
Steakhouse in 2011, Stick Boy Bread Company and Appalachian Regional Healthcare in 2010, Chetola
Resort in 2009, Boone Mall in 2008, Carefree Companies in 2007, Makoto’s in 2006, Boone Drug in
2005, Pepper’s in 2004, Footsloggers in 2003, W.J. Office in 2002. Mast General Store was the first
recipient in 1987.
The Boone Area Chamber of Commerce is located at 870 W. King
St. in downtown Boone. For more information, call (828) 264-2225 or visit