• June 6 – Soul Benefactor & Spice Creek Ramblers
• June 13 – Mercury Dames & Swing Guitars
• June 20 – Doc Watson Celebration, featuring Elkville String Band, Charles Welch and Rich Kirby, Strictly Clean and Decent and The Kruger Brothers
• June 27 – Redleg Husky & The Monroebots
• July 4 – Downtown Boone Fourth of July Parade, Fat Face Band, Liz Hayes and Common Threads
• July 11 – Buck Haggard Band & The Buck Stops Here
• July 18 – Andy Ferrell and Oncoming Train & Carolina Crossing
• July 25 – Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer & Kelley and the Cowboys
• Aug. 1 – Amantha Mill & Jazz Guitar Duo
• Aug. 8 – Never Too Late Bluegrass & Williams and Company
• Aug. 15 – Shane Chalke’s BE Jazz Band & Todd Wright
• Aug. 22 – Steve Katz
• Aug. 29 – David Childers & Dashboard Hula Boys
• Sept. 5 – The Lazybirds & Sound Traveler
• Sept. 12 – Traditional Music Showcase, featuring Glenn Bolick, Orville Hicks, Charlie Glenn, Rick Ward, Lonnie Ward, Trevor McKenzie, Mary Greene, Cecil Gurganus and Strictly Strings
Summer is music to Boone’s ears.
It also means music for Boone’s ears.
The town of Boone has announced its lineup for 2014’s Summer Concerts at the Jones House series, featuring a concert every Friday from June through September. To listen, one simply needs to show up and take a seat on the lawn, as one of many eclectic acts performs from the Jones House porch.
“I think we have something for everyone this summer,” Boone cultural resources coordinator and concerts organizer Mark Freed said, “with a wide variety of styles, from traditional, bluegrass and country to soul, jazz and rock; bands that play familiar favorites to songwriters and bands composing new works.”
Those bands include some familiar favorites, like The Lazybirds, Soul Benefactor, Amantha Mill, Todd Wright, Dashboard Hula Boys, Swing Guitars, Mercury Dames, Shane Chalke’s BE Jazz Band, David Childers, Buck Haggard Band, Carolina Crossing and Sound Traveler, while newcomers include the Spice Creek Ramblers, Redleg Husky, The Monroebots, Fat Face Band, The Buck Stops Here, Andy Ferrell and Oncoming Train, Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer, Kelley and the Cowboys, Jazz Guitar Duo, Never Too Late Bluegrass, Steve Katz and Strictly Strings.
“I am really excited about this summer’s schedule,” Freed said. “I think it is, perhaps, the strongest overall series that I have put together at the Jones House in the 10 years that I have organized it. We have a lot of new groups, a lot of past favorites and a few special evenings in store.”
Those evenings include the annual Doc Watson Celebration on June 20, featuring the Elkville String Band, Charles Welch and Rich Kirby, Strictly Clean and Decent and The Kruger Brothers. The Jones House will also host a post-parade Fourth of July Concert, a July 25 show with Grammy-winning artists Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer and a one-man show with original Blood, Sweat and Tears member Steve Katz on Aug. 22.
A traditional music showcase, featuring Glenn Bolick, Orville Hicks, Charlie Glenn, Rick Ward, Lonnie Ward, Trevor McKenzie, Mary Greene, Cecil Gurganus and Strictly Strings, will close out the season Sept. 12.
Each First Friday promises some surprises, as well. For the Downtown Boone Art Crawl, the Jones House will feature outdoor and indoor performances. The first band will perform on the porch from 5 to 6:30 p.m., Freed said, and the second act will follow indoors for the gallery reception.
“This will give art crawlers more of a chance to explore the Jones House exhibits, and it will give the 5 p.m. bands some extra time to play, which is especially nice for the particular bands we have on those nights that require more set up — Soul Benefactor, Buck Haggard, Amantha Mill and The Lazybirds,” Freed said.
2014 marks the 22nd year of the series, which was founded by the Watauga County Arts Council. The council has since moved from the Jones House, but the concerts continue to be a summer staple.
This year’s sponsors include Appalachian Antique Mall, Downtown Boone Development Association, Farmers Rental, Footsloggers, Mast General Store, Melanie’s, MPrints and Stick Boy Bread Company. The Jones House Community Center is located at 604 W. King St. in downtown Boone. For more information, visit http://www.joneshousecommunitycenter.org.