Boone, NC Weather
64.0°
Partly Cloudy
7-Day Forecast

Dancing their way to a new shelter



Article Published: May. 6, 2010 | Modified: Sep. 7, 2011

The 15th annual Hearts of Hospitality Ball and Dancing with the Stars contest will take place on Friday, May 14, at Appalachian State University's Broyhill Inn and Conference Center to benefit Hospitality House.

"We have always held the ball during the cold winter months, and it is refreshing to be planning this wonderful event with spring flowers blooming all around us," said Kay Dixon, president of the Hearts of Hospitality. "Hopefully, even more people can join us as we raise much needed funds for Hospitality House."

Dixon said the event will be the best yet, featuring live music by Todd Wright, an expansive dinner buffet, a silent auction and the highly anticipated Dancing with the Stars contest.
There will also be a live auction, with prizes including a basketball signed by Dwayne Wade, a 2009 ASU team football with team and coach signatures, and a tour of the U.S. Capitol dome.

Dance contestants include Robin Lane and Andy Glass dancing the samba, Edie and Fred Milano with their rendition of the shag, Cay and Andy Harkins will perform a swing style routine, and the High Country Dance Crew will perform a hip hop routine. The contest will be emceed by Gwen Dhing as Tina Turner.

Winners will be decided by the audience with dollar votes - $1 equals one vote. An open dance contest will follow the Dancing with the Stars for the general public. The contestants will dance to "In the Mood," and the winner will be determined by the professional dancers.

"It's a great event for a very worthy cause," dancer Bianca Capo said. "When I toured the existing shelter and saw the tremendous need for those experiencing homelessness and the hungry in our community, I knew I had to help make this a success."

Tickets are $75 per person ($50 tax deductible within the law). You may purchase tickets or vote for your favorite dance team by calling Rose Bridgeman at (828) 264-2733. The event is semi-formal (black-tie optional).

All proceeds benefit Hospitality House, which is in the midst of a combined campaign to build and operate a new shelter for those in need in the High Country. The agency has reached 92 percent of its funding needs for the project and hopes to raise the remaining 8 percent in 2010. With current economic conditions compounded by extreme weather, the need for a new shelter is more critical than ever.

Founded in 1984, Hospitality House is a non-profit crisis intervention agency that provides shelter and services to the homeless, operates the community soup kitchen and administers WeCAN, the local crisis assistance program. Hospitality House is a High Country United Way agency.
For more information, call Hospitality House of Boone at (828) 264-1237.

Facebook Fans
Home » Community Events » Dancing their way to a new shelter
Local Business Marketplace

Find more businesses on HighCountryMarketplace.com

Attorneys · Automotive · Health Care
Home & Garden · Hotels & Lodging Restaurants
Retail · Recreation · Real Estate & Rentals · Services

Banner Elk My Hometown
Boone My Hometown
ASU Sports